As I've mentioned before--probably to no one's pleasure--I have chronic fatigue. One week before Thanksgiving I spent the day with a turbulent tummy, sleeping, and having nonsense dreams. This election season I have been unusually susceptible to news that many find joyful but that I find crushing. So I have wondered how I, as matriarch of a small family, can provide a bit of Thanksgiving spirit to the day.
I cooked my last turkey several years ago when I forgot to remove the giblets from the bird and ended up with a messy, undercooked dinner that would embarrass even the least talented amateur. I don't like turkey much anyway and always felt a bit put upon to go through the motions of being the perfect mom and making the perfect Thanksgiving dinner. Usually, though, I did a good job and made everyone, including myself, happy.
This year, however, I face the following challenges:
1. I have no energy.
2. My son is now a vegetarian.
3. My daughter-in-law is a vegetarian.
4. My daughter-in-law is also a vegan, which means she eats no dairy products. (Think about it.)
5. My older son's widow and three children live too far away for me to escape Nos. 1 and 4 above.
6. I'm still the matriarch and want to fulfill that role.
So I have taken the coward's way out. I have turned my problems over to a caterer. She is happy to have the business. I am happy not to have the business.
I actually look forward to Thanksgiving. Sometimes there are benefits to cowardice.
No comments:
Post a Comment