Karen Brown, Writer

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Food That Goes Crunch

My teeth are never happier than when they are chewing crunchy food such as nuts or potato chips or toffee. Soft foods like pudding and mashed potatoes are fine, but I like the mashed potatoes with lumps in them best. Intentional lumps or unintentional lumps--I don't care. Candy and ice cream should always have nuts or toffee.

When I was a child it was the custom, for some reason I never knew, for children to have their tonsils and adenoids taken out at a young age. As an inducement to go under the knife without resistance, kids were always promised ice cream after they returned home. But when I got home there was no ice cream in the fridge. I suppose this was poor planning on my mother's part, but that didn't soften the blow of getting no ice cream. Life was cruel. I needed comfort food. I eventually found a wayward almond and was all set to pop it into my mouth when parental intervention killed the moment. My throat was still too raw for me to eat my favorite nut.

No ice cream. No almond. Sigh. It was a perfectly good almond that I found on a closet floor and still remember, I but can't remember if I ever got to eat it. 

My son Doug feels exactly the opposite about crunch food. He wants no crunches in his candy or ice cream. He says that peanuts give him a headache. I suppose this borders on peanut allergy.
I don't understand his aversion to crunch. He's like me in so many other ways. It's sad. He is missing out on some of the great pleasures of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment