Karen Brown, Writer

Saturday, March 30, 2019

GUADALUPE FROM GUATEMALA

She was standing in a wire cage at the Tijuana border crossing clutching an old tin wash tub and wash board. The border guard asked her her name. She replied, "I am Guadalupe Gonzales from Guatemala, sir. 

 "And why have your brought such very unusual objects with you to America," he asked pointing at the tub and wash board.

"Ah, sir," she said, "I have come in hopes of getting a job at the White House doing the president's laundry."

The border guard couldn't restrain his laughter. "But I'm sure the president has people who do his laundry for him. He hasn't cut any part of that budget."

"Oh, no, Mr. Border Guard," she insisted. "In Guatemala we hear quite often that Mr. Donald Trump is 'airing his dirty laundry in public.'"

The guard saw how serious she was, and that she was not familiar to that old bromide, "He is airing his dirty laundry in public," meaning that a person made no attempt to hide his or her misdeeds.

And then he thought how good this story would look on the front page of The Washington Post. So he took a picture of her, her wash tub, and her wash board and called a fellow he knew who worked at the Post.

Damn, I wish this were a true story. 👿

No comments:

Post a Comment