Karen Brown, Writer

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Give me your tired, your poor . . .

A few weeks ago, at the height of the southern border fiasco created by our government, with Latino children being separated from their parents and shipped off to unknown destinations, I published a post on Facebook. It starts with words from the inscription on the Statue of Liberty, but then goes a bit snarky.

                         Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses
                         yearning to breathe free . . .

                         . . . and I will dispose of them for you.

                                                                         DONALD J. TRUMP

Facebook took it down almost immediately.

So I posted it again.

Facebook took it down again.

I must have hit a nerve.

Someone at The Washington Post is keeping track of the number of lies and misleading statements that Trump has uttered (or tweeted, I presume) since he became president. As of August 1, 2018, the number was 4,229. Impressive. You've got to be a dedicated liar to hit that number in so short a time.

The Donald  has a long history of inverting the truth, making the good guys into the bad guys and the bad guys into the good guys. After his meeting with Kim Jong Un, he declared that there was no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea. But North Korea is, in fact, expanding its missile program and has not taken the necessary steps needed to denuclearize. But Un still holds a special place in  Trump's little tin heart.

Recently, Trump declared that his trade tariffs were working big time, though they have caused layoffs and plant closures and forced him to grant $12 billion in aid to farmers. Such a brilliant move. If the farmers had not been hurt by the tariffs they no doubt could have made much more money in sales to foreign nations.

Our president also said in May that drug companies would soon announce voluntary massive drops in prices. Shortly after that, the drug companies announced price increases. And Obamacare is still a bulls eye for destruction in Trump world. Medication in America might just become a luxury item.

So I have written a new tribute to The Donald that I hope captures the spirit of his chaotic presidency.

                           Give me your rich, your famous, your evil, your oligarchs, your liars,           
                           yearning to grab power,
                           and I will lead them down the paths of corruption.

                                                                                 DONALD J. TRUMP                                              


I hope Mark Zuckerberg never reads it.

No comments:

Post a Comment