Karen Brown, Writer

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

My Not-So-Dark Secret

Sheldon Cooper, the  genius character on The Big Bang Theory television show, can't drive a car. Watching him try to drive a simulated car once in a scene turned my bowels inside out. His Nobel Prize-quality brain cannot handle the simple task of pointing a car down the road and driving from point A to point B, no matter how short that distance is.

For most of m life, I couldn't do the breast stroke. I knew how to do it, but I couldn't make it work. While other swimmers slid through the water with their heads held high, mine sank down to the eyebrows. I was a water-borne Sheldon Cooper. Then one day, quite a few years ago, while trying once more to perfect the breast stroke, I realized that my butt was floating above the water. (I'm very buoyant.) This, of course, dunked my head under the water. I corrected the butt float and my head stayed up. I felt absolutely athletic, which I'm not.

There is one more thing that I have never been able to do which even Sheldon can probably do. Most every able bodied adult can, I believe. And I will never be able to do it.

I   can't   snap   my   fingers.

My mother could snap her fingers. Really loud. It got my attention fast. She had nice sized hands with long fingers. I have small hands with short fingers. My efforts to produce  a snap have always been laughable. ;-D

I may as well try to snap my toes.

Why should I care about such a silly thing? It's not life threatening. I'm sure no one else gives a damn. It's not like Sheldon crashing a car into a lamp post he should have missed by 20 feet. But Sheldon has come to terms with his inability to drive. He takes the bus. And bums rides from his friends.

I need to come to terms. I see no finger snapping prizes in my future--but at least I can drive a car.

1 comment:

  1. Finger snapping may not seem like a big deal, until you try to win a Peggy Lee impersonation contest and they ask you to sing "Fever."

    ReplyDelete